BACK HOME

 

SOME HIGH RESOLUTION PHOTOS FROM OUR ARCHIVES

 

1.  Looking East and North at the corner of Pine St. and E. Chestnut St. about 1898.  This photo was taken with an "Al-Vista Camera" that was made here in Burlington.  The saloon building on the corner was later moved East to become part of the Hi-Liter property (now the Charcoal Grill parcel).  The building in the distant left is on Geneva St. (now Milwaukee Ave.) and is the present location of the Bear Realty property.

  (View Full Size)

 

2.  Looking West at the corner of Pine St. and E. Chestnut St. about 1890.  On the left is the Meinhardt Bank building (now occupied by Chase Bank), which is Wisconsin's oldest building used continuously as a bank.

  (View Full Size)

 

3.  Photo taken from the top of the wooden water tower at the North end of Lewis St. about 1900.  Dirt road at the right is Lewis St. Echo Lake is in the distance on the left.

  (View Full Size)

 

4.  Same view as No. 3 above.  Photo taken in 1960.

  (View Full Size)

 

5.  High School Building known as the "Conkey Street School" was dedicated in 1897 and located near the corner of Conkey St. and Amanda St. Conkey St. is leading West to State St.  Amanda St. is at far right.  Kindergarten School Building was located on the corner (present location of Cooper School).

  (View Full Size)

 

6.  Looking Westerly across the Fox River from the top of the "Finke-Uhen Malt House" on Main Street about 1900. Spring St. on the right runs to the East side of the old Jefferson St. Bridge.  The building just left of center is the Al-Vista Panoramic Camera factory which was built in 1900 and burned down in 1909.  It was located next to the Soo Line Railroad tracks South of Jefferson St. (near the present location of the Fox River State Bank). 

  (View Full Size)

 

7.  Al-Vista Panoramic photo taken from the East edge of St. Mary's Cemetery about 1905.  St. Mary's two churches in center background.  Houses in front of camera are facing Schemmer St.  Building to extreme right is the Finke-Uhen Brewery which was on McHenry St. across from present day Aurora Hospital.  Conkey St. High School (later called Cooper School) is in the distance on the far left.  (Note children watching photographer on lower right of photo).

  (View Full Size)

 

8.  View from the South side of E. Chestnut St. looking Easterly towards Pine St. about 1889.  Francis Reuschlein had a dry goods and grocery store on the corner (now the location of Zumpano's Restaurant). Veteran's Saloon is now the location of May's Insurance Agency.

  (View Full Size)

 

9.  Looking Westerly from the side of St. Mary's Church on State St.  Two story building on the right was the "Wentker's Hotel and Boarding House" (later the site of Hillside Service Station).  At far right is the bell tower atop "Hose Company No.2" fire station (Now the site of B.J. Wentker Restaurant.  Photo taken about 1898.

  (View Full Size)

 

10.  Looking East from the top of the "Malt House" about 1900.  Main St. runs along the lower part of the photo.  At far right is the intersection of State St. and Main St.  The house just left of the smoke stack is now the location of a gas station/convenience store.  In far distance on the right is Norton's (Rockland) Lake.

  (View Full Size)

 

11.  Southeast corner of Pine and E. Chestnut Sts. about 1915.  Wein clothing store was in the corner building known as the "Florence Block" that was built in 1888.    Photo studios on the 2nd floor were enhanced by skylights to the rear of the  building. Al Reuschlein had the Burlington Shoe Store in the "Schwaller Building" next to Wein's store.  E. Chestnut St. heads left of center towards the railroad tracks.

  (View Full Size)

 

12.  Looking Northerly at the intersection of Kane St. (formerly Dyer St.) and Washington St. about 1905.  Large house on left was the Florence Hall residence and later used as the Knights of Columbus Hall.  It is now the site of Town Bank (formerly the First Banking Center).  Just left of the Hall House in the background is the "Stone Water Tower" on Lewis St.  In the far left is a small portion of the Plymouth Congregational Church.  The large house in the distant left is on Milwaukee Ave. (formerly Geneva St. )and is now the location of Merten's Gas Station.  The large building just right of center in the background is "Teutonia Hall," later the site of Tietel's Gas Station.  The house on the corner at right is now the location of the Drive-Up Bank.  The houses on the right side of the photo that lead down to Pine St. are now parking areas along Washington St.

  (View Full Size)

 

13.  Looking Northerly along Kane Street towards the intersection of Jefferson Street.  On the left is the home of Charles Jones (who was the owner of the Jones House Hotel which is now the Coach's Lounge building in downtown). On the far left are the two churches of St. Mary's.  The church behind the trees on the right is now the Church of the Nazarene.

  (View Full Size)

 

14.  Northerly along the White River.  Photo taken from the iron bridge on Bridge Street about 1906.  Hall & Smith Electric Light Co. power station and "mill race" is on the right.  It was located on a parcel that is now the "Veterans Terrace".  On the left is the area of the present Charcoal Grill Restaurant at the end of E. Chestnut Street.  Straight ahead, up the river, would be the Echo Lake Dam.

  (View Full Size)

 

15.  Parade heading easterly along the "Chestnut Street Bend" about 1900.  Tallest building in distance on the left is the Jones House Hotel (now Coach's Lounge).  The Post Office was located in the "Hoch Building" in the center.  To the right of that was Union Drug & News, Stang Bros. Shoe Store and Gill's Sample Room (Tavern).  Across Pine Street on the far right was Wegge & Baumann Saloon, now the location of May's Insurance (McCanna Building).

  (View Full Size)

 

16.  Looking Easterly from the intersection of Geneva St. (Milwaukee Ave.) and Johnson St. about 1905.  Large residence on left was Uhen house (now the location of Merten's Service Station).  Building with turret in far distant center is on Chestnut St. (Oldenburg Insurance). House on the right was on the East corner of Johnson St. That area is now the playground for the child care center of the adjoining Plymouth Congregational Church.

  (View Full Size)

 

17.  Looking East on Milwaukee Ave. at the Florence Hall residence which was on the Southwest corner of Geneva St. (now Milwaukee Ave.) and Dyer St. (now Kane St.).  It is now the site of Town Bank (formerly First Banking Center).  The building in the background was "Teutonia Hall" which was an Opera House and later a theatre.  It is now the site of a service station/convenience store (formerly Tietel's Standard Service). 

  (View Full Size)

 

18.  Cunningham Bros. Buick Garage on E. Chestnut St. at Dodge St. mid-1920's. Building later occupied by Video Country and Chocolate Expressions.

  (View Full Size)    

For an earlier view of the same building in 1910 (prior to the addition of the Westerly portion on the building)   (Click Here)

 

19.  An Al-Vista panoramic photo looking Easterly and Southerly from the intersection of Amanda and Conkey Streets prior to 1902.  First and second houses on the left are at 309 and 317 Conkey St.  Across the street is house at 308 Conkey St.  Houses on the right (leading down to Milwaukee Ave.) are at 232 and 224 Amanda St.

  (View Full Size)

 

20.  The "Hillside" area of Burlington about 1900.  Photo taken from Conkey St. area about 1900.  St. Mary's present church in center. Left of center is St. Sebastian Church.  Hillside Hotel is below St. Mary's Church.  Church at right center is St. Mary's first church.

  (View Full Size)