SOME BURLINGTON AREA "FIRSTS"
|Dec. 1835||The first claim on the
present site of Burlington is a "jack knife" claim
made by Moses Smith and William Whiting on December 15, 1835, at or near
where the Standard Press building is now located. The two men then left,
returning on December 27 or 28 with Lemuel Smith and Benjamin Perce. The
four men built a shanty on the east side of the Fox River in what is now
Wehmhoff-Jucker Park to serve as their "headquarters" while they further
explored the area and made additional claims. (Note: Some sources provide
different versions of who the first land claimants might have been and the
location of the first claim.)
Wisconsin Territory is established and counties are defined. What was later
called Burlington was part of Milwaukee County, which covered much of
southeastern and southcentral Wisconsin.
Racine County is separated from the rest of Milwaukee County. The new
county, which at the time covered what is now both Racine and Kenosha
Counties, is given the French name for its principal river, the Root River.
A post office is established at Foxville on March 21, 1837, with Moses Smith
as postmaster. The name was changed to Burlington July 15, 1839, with
Stephen Bushnell as postmaster. The office is still in service.
A post office is established at Rochester on March 21, 1837, with John B.
Wade as postmaster. The office is still in service.
The first marriage in Foxville on July 6, 1837, unites Alvira Hayes and
William McLaughlin. In the town of Spring Prairie, the first marriage is of
Oliver VanValin and Jane Ressigue on July 16, 1837. The first marriage in
Waterford unites Orilla Caldwell and Ira A. Rice, with sources differing on
the date being either in 1837 or 1838. The first marriage in Rochester is
generally considered to be Philander H. Cole (one source said John Cole) and
Nancy Fowler, although one source
says that the first marriage in Rochester united Mary Skinner and George E.
The first lawyer in Foxville, Lewis Royce, arrives on September 1, 1837.
Royce also starts a lime kiln to supply the lime for the mortar daubing for
the settlers' log houses.
A wooden bridge is built across the Fox River at Jefferson Street to enable
grain to be taken to Southport (now Kenosha).
Rochester Township, including all of Racine County west of Mount Pleasant,
Burlington Township, including the Town of Dover and much of Brighton, is
separated from Rochester Township.
Silas Peck and Pliny Perkins record the Original Plat of Burlington (Peck's
portion) and Perkins addition thereto.
|1839||First village park block bounded by Pine, Washington, Dodge, & Chestnut sts.
was dedicated by Silas Peck in 1839 but reverted to his heirs in early 1860s
after it was allowed to lie vacant. Caleb P. Barns bought the land on Oct.
1, 1864 (may be date of recording) from the Peck estate. (F 1/13/1949)
|June 1839||The first doctor, Edward Galusha Dyer, brings his family to Foxville on June 20, 1839. Dyer had first come to Foxville in the spring of 1837 to help his brother in law, Origen Perkins, develop his claim.|
|Apr. 5, 1842||
Town of Burlington holds its first election on April 5, 1842. 75 voters
participated. George Batchelder presided as moderator, and Thomas W.
Trowbridge as clerk. Officers elected were: John T. Trowbridge, chairman
of the board of supervisors; Lewis Royce and E. Everitt, supervisors; C. P.
Barns, town clerk; Thomas W. Trowbridge, Hilas Meachem and W. G. Lewis,
commissioners of highways; Joseph Rooker, P. Vanalstine and Aaron Smith,
assessors; L. C. Eastman, Thomas W. Trowbridge, and C. K. Norton,
commissioners of common schools; H. H. Edmonds, treasurer; H. McLaughlin and
N. Stowel, constables; H. McLaughlin, collector; G. W. Gregg, J. T.
Trowbridge, and D. Bushnell, overseers of highways; G. W. Gregg, sealer of
weights and measures; E. S. Sawyer, J. T. Trowbridge, W. L. Rooker, H. B.
Royce, P. Wade, and C. K. Norton, fence viewers. (From Standard Democrat,
June 20, 1924.)
First woolen mill in Racine County, if not in State, was built in Burlington
in 1843 by Ephraim & Pliny M. Perkins. (From 1876 Racine Advocate City &
County Directory of Racine County)
First Protestant church organized in
Burlington Presbyterian, 18 members.
A Masonic lodge is established at Burlington on January 29, 1849.
A post office is established at Waterford on October 11, 1849, with Samuel
C. Russ as postmaster. It is still in service.
Kenosha County is separated from Racine County.
A post office is established at
Kansasville on May 14, 1856, with William J. Blandin as postmaster. The
office was discontinued February 25, 1857, and then re established January
13, 1858, with John C. Becker as postmaster. It is still in service.
The first issue of the "Weekly Burlington Gazette," H. W. Phelps, owner, is
published on April 8, 1858. It ran a little more than two years, ending on
December 11, 1860, when Phelps went to Houston.
|Oct. 14, 1863||
Vol. 1, No. 1, of the Burlington Standard issued.
First baseball match in Burlington - National
Club, Burlington vs. Farmers Club, Spring Prairie; Spring Prairie won 60 -
|May 1868||William H. Peck installs a soda fountain the first in Burlington in his
confectionery store and lunch room on Chestnut st. opposite Merton's dry
goods store. [Based on following items, believe this was a frame building
that stood just east of bend on north side of Chestnut. S 8/12/1868 S.
Gardner buys confectionery store of William H. Peck. S 12/9/869 Burlington
Confectionery & Restaurant, S. Gardner opposite Jones' brick block. S
4/11/1872 Frame building formerly occupied by S. Gardner as a restaurant is
being moved to Geneva st. near the Jones House and will be used as a meat
market by Nicholas May. A new brick building will be erected in its place.]
The Burlington post office is made a money order office. The first money
order was issued July 13, 1869, for $20 made payable to Tosen & Arend of
Milwaukee by Peter A. Jensen, fee 10 cents. Signed by Postmaster Joel
Cooper. The first money order paid at the Burlington post office was on
July 19, 1869.
A post office is established at Dover Station on February 25, 1876, with
Theodore Hillman as postmaster. The name was changed to Dover on June 22,
1883, with Mrs. Hattie M. Simmons as postmaster. The Dover post office was
discontinued January 30, 1904, and its papers sent to Burlington.
|1870s - 1880s||
First "low" bicycle in Burlington was owned by W. G.
Rasch - per Joe Dolister's recollections in F 1/11/1940.
|Feb. 22, 1881||
First issue of the Free Press printed.
The first number of the "Standard Democrat" was published on April 10, 1886,
the name having been changed from "Burlington Standard." James I. Toner was
the editor and proprietor; A. F. Ransom was the associate editor.
John G. Rose starts the first commercial bakery in Burlington.
Electric current is first produced in Burlington. First homes wired were
those of Leonard J. Smith, Eugene Hall, Fred Wilhoft, Charles B. McCanna,
Charles A. Jones, Anthony Meinhardt, Matt Cunningham, and Andrew Patterson.
Agnes Worsley, new superintendent of schools, is first woman ever elected to
an office in Racine County. (She was teaching in Burlington at time of her
Prasch Bros. has a new cash register, the first one in Burlington.
Derby Cycling Club has posters out for
first annual bicycle road race 1st road race ever in Burlington. S
6/29/1895 Herman Lock of Lyons wins race. 18 entered, 17 finished.
Burlington enjoys the distinction of being the first place outside of the
metropolitan cities in which Thomas Alva Edison's great invention, the
Vitascope, was exhibited. Through the efforts of G. C. Rasch, W. G. Rasch,
L. J. Smith, W. A. Bennett and Edwin Caldwell, we were permitted to witness
the working of this wonderful machine, Thursday evening. People are amazed
that life and action can be put into a picture thrown on a screen.
The Vitascope will be exhibited at the Elkhorn fair next week. William
Heiderman with a force of men left for the fair grounds yesterday to erect a
building 30 x 60 for its exhibition. This is the first county fair in the
world to show the Vitascope.
The first automobile seen on Burlington streets put in an appearance on
Thursday, August 9, 1900. It belonged to the Dr. R. V. Pierce Co., of
Buffalo, N. Y., and was being used for traveling through the country.
The first person in Burlington to own an automobile is Leonard J. Smith.
Meyer & Jacob have placed in their barber shop on Pine st. an annunciator
that is something new for Burlington. Its use is designed to inform patrons
when their turn comes, each one being given a ticket with a number on when
they come into the shop. The number is then rung up on the annunciator and
one can also see how many are waiting ahead of them and thus are enabled to
know how long they will have to wait before their turn comes.
|July 1, 1905||
Auto licenses required as of July 1, 1905.
Walter Riel, Artie Ball, and Alfred
Plucker stand highest on civil service exam and will probably be first city
carriers. S 5/23/08 -Riel,Ball, and
Plucker appointed as city mail carriers.
John T. Prasch automobile caught fire at Agner & Reynolds garage; car pushed
outside and fire put out. (First reported automobile fire in Burlington.)
Addition being built to Dr. F. F. Newell's
residence on Chestnut st. Will have skylight and be used as an operating
room. S 8/15/08, S 8/22/08, & S 8/29/08 - operations at Dr. Newell's
hospital. (Considered first hospital)
Agner & Reynolds advertises automobiles
for sale - Model F Cadillac and 1906 Rambler. (Believe this is first used
car advertisement in Burlington
|July 2, 1909||
First electric car for Burlington left
Milwaukee at 4:15 this afternoon. First electric car from Burlington to
Milwaukee left Burlington at 6:20 the same evening - Friday, July 2, 1909.
|October 1, 1909||
First electric car to run on Geneva st. reached here Friday morning, Oct. 1,
at 8 o'clock from Milwaukee.
|August 14, 1910||
The first collision of two automobiles in Burlington occurred on Sunday,
August 14, 1910. Mail carrier Louis P. Kessler, coming in his Buick onto
Geneva Street from Dyer Street (now Milwaukee Avenue and N. Kane Street),
bumped into a big Rambler owned by Milwaukee parties that was coming down
Geneva Street. The occupants of the cars received a shaking up but were not
thrown from the car. The Rambler's fender was damaged, while on the Kessler
car, the lamps were wrecked and the radiator and car front were badly
damaged. Neither car was speeding or the damage would have been greater,
the newspaper reported.
First reported use in Burlington of an automobile as a funeral car
remains of Edgar Thiele were brought from Racine and, after funeral
services, were taken to Burlington Cemetery for burial.
|Dec. 26, 1910||
First funeral from St. Charles church was that of a 3-year-old daughter of
Charles Eckert and wife of Spring Prairie, which took place on Monday,
December 26. (Veronica, daughter of Charles & Clara Eckert. Burial was at
St. Mary's Cemetery.)
1st auto-truck to be owned by a Burlington concern
- a Champion auto truck,
by Finke-Uhen Brewing Co.
Herbert Moussa sends first package by parcel post from the Burlington Post
Office. First parcel post package delivered was to Mrs. W. J. Knight.
First gas-powered cultivator in the Burlington area to be used on Mrs. G. C.
Rasch's Spring Brook farm.
Boy Scout troop to start at Plymouth church. F 3/25/14
- H. W. Johnson
organized the first Boy Scout Troop in Burlington last Saturday. All boys
who have passed their 12th birthday are eligible.
|June 18, 1915||
The first jitney to appear on the streets of Burlington put in an appearance
on Friday, June 18. Run by William Olsen of Milwaukee who has been running
a jitney there. Jitney will make half hourly trips during summer between
the city and Brown's Lake, the fare being 10 cents.
Leo Bauman will be the first farmer in the Burlington area to use a tractor
First grand jury in Racine County history convened to investigate affairs of
defunct Commercial and Savings Bank of Racine.
The first shipment of freight on the Interurban (electric) train was a tub
of oysters for May's meat market.
|Dec. 22, 1915||
Clock in St. Mary's tower lit for the first time by electricity.
The first all-automobile funeral in Burlington
- no horses; remains of
George H. Fay taken to Wilmot for burial.
Richard Kelly and Hugo Rothering, of the Kelly & Rothering Livery, have the
distinction of owning the first auto hearse in Burlington.
First city and town of Burlington men drawn in the selective draft were
George B. Miller, number 783, and William C. L. Hintz, number 1185.
|July 19, 1918||
Sergeant George Mangold, son of John and Theresa Mangold, is the first
Burlington man to be wounded in action in World War I. He was wounded and
gassed in the battle of Chateau Thierry on July 19, 1918. For several
months, he was listed on overseas military records as dead; and his family
received a photograph of a white cross bearing his name and military record,
erected over his supposed grave in France. However, Sergeant Mangold
arrived back in the United States in January 1919 and was discharged in
February 1919. Never fully recovering from his ordeal, he died in March
1937 at age 43.
|August 7, 1918||
Ross A. Wilcox, son of Edwin and Caroline Wilcox, is the first Burlington
man to be killed in action in World War I in France. Born at Honey Creek in
September 1895, he came to Burlington as a baby with his parents. He
attended the Burlington public schools, graduating from high school in
1914. He was working as a pianist in Milwaukee when he answered the call to
service, and went overseas with the 85th Division.
|Sept. 24, 1919||
Local post of the American Legion is organized on September 24, 1919, by
about 30 Burlington soldiers in the great war. By unanimous vote, the post
is named the Ross Wilcox Post. Aloys Vos is elected as the Post's first
Burlington to have unique distinction of being one of the first cities in
the United States to receive its consignment of Red Cross Christmas seals by
plane. S 11/21/19 - Christmas seals delivered by plane - plane dropped
package from about 100 feet.
|Sept. 7, 1920||
Women vote for first time in the Sept. 7, 1920, primary election. The vote
in Burlington was light - of 663 voters, about 100 were women. Many women
refrained from voting because a mistaken impression was spread that women
had to furnish an affidavit. The mistake was rectified by noon and, in the
afternoon, women voted on the same terms as men.
Rein Meat Market is the first in Burlington to install a refrigerating
machine; cost about $2,000.
Water softener installed in Tillie and Celia David's hairdressing parlors in
the Keuper building. First such establishment in Burlington and only the
second such establishment in Wisconsin to install a water softener.
Ladies drawn for jury duty in Racine County for first time. Nine drawn;
none from Burlington.
W. G. Rasch installs the first wireless radio telephone in Burlington at his
Mrs. H. A. Runkel is the first lady from Burlington to serve on a circuit
court jury in Racine.
The Knerien Motor Co. has a free air and water station in front of its
garage on Mill street, the first one of its kind in Burlington. They invite
the public to make use of the same.
The first class to complete the four year high school course in the middle
of the year since a division of classes was made four years ago,
completed their course of study at the Burlington high school. Those in the
class are John Moore, Charles Foltz, Winsola Whitton, Elizabeth Smithers,
Edith Leach, Edward Juranek and Evelyn Uebele.
Move to start Rotary Club discussed at Hotel
Badger on Tuesday, April 15. S 4/25/24 - 18-20 businessmen and professionals
applied for Rotary charter - F. L. Witter, president. The Rotary Club
received its charter in May.
|April 30, 1924||
Burlington had first excitement over Ku Klux Klan on Wednesday night when a
cross was burned near the water tower.
|June 16, 1924||
First baby born at new Memorial Hospital was the baby girl of Mr. & Mrs.
George Johnston. She arrived Monday, June 16, 1924.
Halsey Hubbard, son of Mr. & Mrs. Ira Hubbard, is first Burlington resident
to receive an appointment to West Point Military Academy.
City of Burlington establishes a garbage disposal service.
Parallel parking inaugurated for the first time in Burlington's business
Burlington's first automatic "stop and go" sign was put in operation
Saturday at the Pine-Chestnut street crossing, creating much interest among
city motorists. S 5/15/25 - Overhead stop-and-go signal tested on corner of
Pine & Chestnut sts. S 6/5/25 - signal approved by council.
Albert T. Spiegelhoff converts the grocery department of his store on
Chestnut Street into a self-service operation, the first of its kind in
|Feb. 20, 1928||
Historical Society, the first historical society in Racine County, was
officially organized on February 20. Initial membership was 105. The
first officers were Mrs. Antoinette Meinhardt Fulton, president; Herbert
Duckett, vice president; and Augusta Nielsen, secretary & treasurer.
Old airplane hangar on Muegler farm torn down. First airplane owned in
Burlington was by H. W. "Pink" Schenning and Art Rein in the spring of
1928. (F 2/23/39)
Kiwanis Club organized in Burlington - sponsored
by Forest Park, Ill., club. S 11/16/28 - 1st meeting held "last Thursday" at
Hotel Badger. S 12/21/28 - Club given charter; Harold Runkel, president. In
February 1936 the Kiwanis Club gave up its charter, but in May 1937 the a
new Kiwanis Club was organized with 29 members and Harry O'Haire as
Mrs. L. C. Kessler, city treasurer, is first woman to serve as city
Delano received medal for biggest lie told in 1929 - beginning of the Liars
Club. The Milwaukee Journal of Jan. 2, 1930, carried the story and a photo
of Frank Beller pinning the liar's medal on Delano. The Racine Journal-News
also carried a column on Burlington's Unique Contest.
Carl Rubach, Troop 35, is Burlington's first Eagle Scout.
Burlington's first Rathskeller following the return of legalized beer will
be that operated by Bob Steele in the basement of the Hotel Burlington.
|Apr. 25, 1935||
The Haylofters' first major production was "Whappin' Wharf," presented at
the high school on April 25, 1935. The price of admission was 25 cents with
reserved seats at 10 cents extra. Members of the cast were Stanley Jung,
Elmer Ebert, Francis Meurer, Bill Rewald, Doris Christianson, Harriet Kilroe,
Ruth Darling, Sam Martin, Walter Riel, Cy Hammiller, and Kenneth Zaspel.
(per PNA 7/5/66)
Girl Scout troop organized at St. Mary's - first of its kind in Burlington.
Captain - Louise Mueller.
Burlington Feed Co. to tear down the old Briody horse barn on Pine st. and
put up a new steel building - the first such building in Burlington
First Junior Prom held at St. Mary's high school
- Frederick Pieters and
Joan Fleuker led grand march.
|May 1, 1937||
Burlington's first marble tournament, for boys 15 or younger, scheduled for
May 1; Carl Treichel in charge. Also in S 4/30/37. F 5/6/37 - Bob Rowell,
winner; Jack Rein, 2nd place; 22 boys participated. Also in S 5/7/37.
Mrs. Gertrude Hanson, of Burlington Rifle Club, is first woman to qualify as
a member of the Wisconsin Rifle association team. Husband, Loren Hanson,
and George Swoboda also qualify.
The first commercial air conditioning and heating plant in Burlington is
installed at Robert Steele's Arcade Rendezvous and bowling alleys on
|Nov. 8, 1937||
First radio broadcast to be sent from a studio in Burlington put on the air
Monday, Nov. 8, at 9:30 a.m. over WRJN, Racine.
|May 1938||Mrs. Carl Backlin and others start Girl Scout troop.|
|May 20, 1938||
First Air Mail Flown from Burlington May 20, 1938; A Big Day for Pilot Roman
Eckert and His Aeronca; A Highlight: He Beat a Telegram to Milwaukee -
Pokin' Around by Enoch Squires (S 5/16/1968)
Elmer Ebert builds and flies a gasoline airplane model, 67 inches from nose
to tip of tail, 7 foot wingspread, & 30 inch tail; weight about 4-1/2 pounds
first such model airplane in Burlington.
|March 21, 1939||
Cub Scouts activity organized March 21. 21 boys signed up. Also in F
3/30/39. F 4/20/39 - First get-together of all Cub Scouts was April 18 at
Conkey Street School.
Warren Christenson of Burlington High School and Charles Pihringer of St.
Mary's High School are first youths from Burlington to attend American
Legion's Boys' State.
First supervised water safety program to start at Norton's lake. Ray
Sonnenberg is instructor.
Swenson's Jewelry store is first in Burlington to make use of fluorescent or
"day light" illumination.
|April 1, 1940||
Two-hour parking limit in business district went into effect April 1.
Burlington's first horse show, a Memorial Hospital benefit by the Boots &
Saddle Club, to be held at Antlers.
First Burlingtonians to enter service as part of a quota of the local draft
board were Joseph A. Pieters, LeRoy Anderson, and James Corbett, with
Wallace Bartelson and Leon Bender, route 1, Burlington, also being
included. All were volunteers.
American Legion Auxiliary to hold first Badger Girls' State. S 5/23/41
First Burlington representatives to Badger Girls State - Marjorie Fratt, BHS,
and Eileen Schuman, St. Mary's. S 6/6/41 - Ellen Brehm also attends Badger
Girls State, sponsored by a Milwaukee Legion post.
Mayor H. J. Runkel and Philip "Sam" Reuschlein are first buyers of National
Defense Savings bonds.
First carload of soybeans ever shipped from Burlington was sent to Milwaukee
last week by Burlington Feed Co. Soybeans raised here for several years but
first time sent to market.
First draftee in the U. S. Army to receive the Distinguished Service Cross
for outstanding bravery in the line of duty is Leroy Anderson, a Burlington
boy. F 3/5/42 - article and
proclamation. (Common Council resolution 3/3/42; mother's reply 4/8/42)
Fred Olsen first man with Burlington address drawn in district draft
lottery; 17th in entire lottery of 1,797 men in district.
First conscientious objector of local draft board No. 4 was Ian Thierman,
former employee at Burlington Mills. Sent to C.O. camp at Beron, Ind. S
3/27/42 - David I. Thiermann at Friends civilian public service camp -
description of camp.
Liars' Club honors a professional for first time; presents "Medal of the
Order of the Double Cross" to Joseph Goebbels, Nazi propaganda minister.
Fox Movietone and Paramount news reel cameramen were on hand at L. J.
Stang's store to record the ceremonies.
First Burlington girl to enlist in WAVES (Women's Auxiliary Volunteer
Emergency Service) was Verona Muller, later Mrs. Edwin F. Kania. Three of
her brothers were already enlisted in the Navy.
|June 16, 1943||
First flower show sponsored by the Garden department of the Burlington
Woman's club is held at Luther Hall on Wednesday, June 16.
|August 2, 1943||
Mildred Murphy - Burlington's first lady Marine
- was sworn into the Marines
on Aug. 2. To go to boot training in Sept. - she's interested in getting
into clerical work with the Marines.
|March 24, 1944||
Wendell Willkie, who spoke at Plaza Theatre on March 24, 1944, was first
presidential candidate to come to Burlington.
Joe Weiler and Hugo Breuckman are first servicemen from Burlington to enter
Germany with U. S. troops.
Charles Jackson elected captain of Rescue Squad at first meeting.
|June 6, 1946||
Rescue Squad made first call June 6, 1946, at Brown's Lake where oxygen was
administered to a patient. (From S 11/16/61.)
Contract awarded for lighting equipment at high school football field.
Should be ready for first night game of year against Whitewater on Sept. 27.
The first television receiver in Burlington is installed in the cocktail
lounge of the Hotel Badger. Only programs from a Chicago station can be
received. A 50-foot mast has been constructed on top of the hotel building
with a receiving antenna on top of it.
First two-way radio in Burlington put into service by Boulden Cab Co. (S
9/1985 Sesqui section)
|April 4, 1948||
Fraternal order of Eagles to be instituted April 4, 1948. F 4/22/48
first officers, including president Christ Beuthling.
Liars' Club to have first group initiation
- staff of University of
Wisconsin humor magazine - "Octopus."
|May 15, 1948||
First flying fatality at Wereley Field (on Phil Warren farm near overpass on
Hwy. 43, now Hwy. 142) on May 15 - Henry Deak of Wind Lake hit high tension
|April 24, 1949||
First night flying done at Wereley Field on Sunday, April 24. Searchlights
powered by portable generators used at end of runways with road flares along
Liars Club winner to be announced on NBC News of the World radio program,
followed by first television announcement by Otis Hulett on Camel Caravan
|March 17, 1950||
Professional wrestling to make a bow in Burlington March 17 at the high
school gym. Wind-up between Billy Goelz & Roger McKay; other bouts to be
"Wild Bill" Brooks vs. Billy Parks and Frenchy Roy vs. Jerry
|April 14, 1950||First professional ladies wrestling match to be presented in Burlington April 14 between Helen Hild and Mae Weston. Also on card - Billy Goelz vs. Great Balbo & Red Barsteen vs Pete Bartu.|
Business and Professional Woman's Club organized. Mrs. Herbert Moussa first
|May 13, 1950||
Newly formed Lions Club planning charter night. Will also sponsor circus in
July. F 5/16/50 - charter night held Sat. May 13; Ray Bienemann,
|August 2, 1950||
Burlington's first polio fatality is Martin Barthels, 8, son of Rev. & Mrs.
|August 21, 1950||
Boat with 9 aboard swamped at Brown's Lake; Henrietta Plymale, 9, drowned;
others rescued. First drowning accident in 40-year history of
Browns Lake Lodge, formerly the Crippled Children's camp.
Sam Reuschlein is first BHS graduate to take part in a football bowl game;
played with LaCrosse State Teachers College against Valparaiso in Cigar Bowl
in Tampa, Florida on New Year's day.
998th Engineer Construction Battalion is first reserve unit from southern
Wisconsin area to be called for active duty in Korean War - includes Dominic King, Donald Koldeway, John Merten, James Ketterhagen.
SWANI conference approved golf, track, volleyball, and tennis competition
for first time.
|May 15, 1951||
Work on installation of Burlington's first parking meter, in front of city
hall, began at 7:30 this morning.
Mrs. Elsie Oberg Buell runs for 2nd ward alderman. (Note: Paper said Elsie
was first woman to run for office in Burlington. However, Mrs. Norma Degen
ran for alderman in 1938, per S 9/2/38.) Two other women have held office
of city treasurer - Mrs. L. P. Kessler was appointed Feb. 5, 1929, to fill
out deceased husband's unexpired term of nearly 2 years; and Mrs. Elsie
Corbett who served in 1931-32.
Elsie Oberg Buell elected 2nd ward alderman; first woman elected to office
Memorial Hospital offers first nurse's aide training program; taught by Mrs.
Ann Petrie of Waterford.
First diesel engine, No. 2102, assigned to Burlington Soo Line freight yards.
|May 24, 1953||
After the Plaza Theatre was remodeled for 3-dimensional (3-D) movies,
with new seats &
equipment installed, the first 3-D picture shown at the Plaza on May 24-25
in the Dark; photo of audience with special glasses in F 6/2/53.
First air-conditioned car in Burlington being shown at Cunningham Buick Co.
Veterans Memorial Building fund raising committee made first financial
First telephone directories with 7 digit numbers (763-xxxx) distributed.
First graduating class from Junior High School.
|Nov. 10, 1966||
First "Pokin' Around" article by Enoch Squires in the Standard-Press.
"Story With a Long Thread From Father to Daughter" - about John & Florence
Haitz. Reprinted in July 22, 1998, Standard Press.
Burlington Optimist Club formed; Roger Humphrey is first president; members
|January 26, 1967||Dell Connelly Geise, 19, son of Mr. & Mrs. James Geise, Hwy. P, killed in action on Jan. 26; Burlington's first casualty in Vietnam War.|
First Vietnam veteran joined American Legion
- Dr. Robert L. Batsleer.
|Dec. 26, 1967||
Victim of Sniper fire, Timothy Kennedy Becomes City
of Burlington's First Vietnam
Burlington Post Office gets first woman mail carrier
- Mrs. Jack Gauger.
|May 31, 1974||
First annual senior prom at Mount Carmel Care Center held on May 31
photos, including one of Bristol Band, in S 6/17/74.
|February 15, 1975||
Brenda VanGorder, 16, died in fire at home of Forrest O. Chilcoat family,
Hwy. 142 near Wheatland road. First fire fatality in history of Town of
Burlington Fire Department.
City gets first woman police officer - Shirley Razmus / Rasmus.
First Burlington Area Chamber of Commerce Service Award to Tom Lebak, city
|Dec. 12, 1988||
Theresa Czerwinski, on Dec. 12, was first woman bowler to roll 300 game at
Towne & Country Lanes.
Exterior of building housing St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store, 135 W.
Chestnut st., and Wisconsin Vision, 139 W. Chestnut st. (old Firestone
building) being restored to previous appearance. First project to qualify
for low-interest loans from Burlington's Downtown Redevelopment Program.
Burlington High School boys volleyball team makes first trip to state
Notices: Disclaimer and
Restriction of Liability
Send mail to email@example.com with questions or comments about this web site.
Burlington Historical Society
Last modified: 4/10/2015